Yes, All White People Raised in America are Racist.

Onyx Contributor:  Stephanie Monk (@stephinitely666)

Yes, All.

We are all ingrained with racism and anti-blackness from the time we are babies.  While I will not, in my white ass opinion ass opinion, deny that other races are ingrained with this as well, I will not speak about that as it is not my right to do so.  I am here today to discuss how all white people raised in America are racist.

Yes, it is a blanket statement or generalization.  No, I’m not going to change that.

White people think as individuals.  Overwhelmingly, we think this way and that is problematic when trying to conquer racism.  We think, “Well -I’m- not racist, I don’t say the N-word and I don’t like the KKK” and that we are then exempt from racism and we can sit back and say that racism does not exist anymore because “myself” and “my friends” also don’t use that word or like the KKK.”  In doing that, we are disturbingly wrong and atrociously continuing the myth that those two requirements are the only requirements for not involving ourselves in racism and for not continuing our racial history.  If you think this way, you are wrong.  You still are ingrained with very subtle, very casual racism that you are still capable of displaying and exhibiting.

Here’s what happened:  During the era of Jim Crow, we whites were running around, calling black people “colored” and lynching black people, pouring acid in swimming pools of black people and burning down black communities.  It was a time of very outward, blatant racism that we displayed and yes, I say -we.  This is -our- history of racial terror in the United States.  Us.  Ours.  Our grandparents, grand aunts, uncles, cousins, etc all had a hand in that.  Go further up a generation as well, to your great ancestors.  I don’t care.  Bottom line is, if your family lived here before 1960, they lived here under Jim Crow laws.  Jim Crow laws took place between 1870 and 1960.  Yes, almost a damn century of that fuckery.  There is no way to trace your ancestry to see if your family had any partaking in Jim Crow.  Since you’d have to trace each individual member of your family and likely, if they did commit any lynchings under Jim Crow, there would be no record anyways because the law stated they were right in doing so.  It’s safe to assume, however, that at least one (although, likely more) of your family members attended a lynching, saw one, heard about one, etc and did nothing to stop it and furthermore, did nothing to change the laws.  It follows that your family believed that the laws of the time, stating that black people were 3/5ths human, were all right, fine and dandy.  This ideology does not just go away over time.  It was handed down.

For most of us, it seems it was watered down substantially.  No longer were our family members all in agreement that black people were less human than us.  There was a shift in how they said it, and how it was demonstrated.  We started utilizing other tactics, such as erasure.  You had numerous white families start telling themselves and their children that it is better to just not see race at all.  White families started raising their children under this ideology.  It is not a good ideology for a variety of reasons.  First, you have the erasure of other people’s culture that comes along with it.  If you do not see race, you will not see their culture.  You then expect everyone to follow -yours-.  It is just another manifestation of white supremacy.  If you’re not seeing race, how are you seeing your own and why are you thinking all of your “culture” and “traditions” are the default?  This attempt to sweep racism under the rug actually only furthered it.

White families started telling each other that white supremacists wear white hoods, and that as long as you’re not wearing a hood, or associating with Uncle Brad who does wear one, you’re not a white supremacist or supporting white supremacy.  This set in white minds a new standard and idea of what it means to be racist or have any hand in racism and white supremacy.  These thoughts and ideas are still rampant today.  My generation is hell bent that if they have 2 black friends, had at least 3 black people attend their school, don’t wear white hoods and don’t talk about race, that they are not racist at all.  That is not the case.  If anything, it makes you racist and hypocritical.  You “don’t see race” until you bring up your “black friends”?  Really?

We think on such an individual level that it is dangerous, and moronic.  Yeah, I said it.  We are the only race in America with the luxury of being treated by our system as individuals.  We are the only race in America that is separated by class.  It’s very clear during election time.  You hear about “the black vote” the “latino vote” but not the white vote because the white vote is not only the default, but the only one divided by class.  “Middle class” “lower class”.

If those classes included other races, we wouldn’t need to talk about the “black vote” or the “latino vote”.

It is very clear that when race goes unmentioned, it is because the race we’re talking about is the white race, which is the default race in our country.

So, yes.  All white people raised in America are instilled with this idea that we are the default, we are the go-to, we are the norm.  That, my friends, is upholding white supremacy.  Every time we say “I don’t see race”, we are contributing to white supremacy, as well as willful blindness to racism.

We see it everywhere, as well.  We as white people are largely represented, in ads, on TV, in movies, in history books, in our communities, as well as in our government, and as well as in businesses.  Other races are exposed to this as well.  The difference?

For white people, it doesn’t stop when we get home.  Growing up, if I was at a black friend’s house they were exposed to black literature, black TV, music… all these things that could counteract all of the whiteness they had to deal with at school.  When I took myself to my white friends’ homes?  The opposite.  Just a continuation of whiteness at home.

There’s an exception to -every- rule, yes.  I see why you don’t want me to use my blanket statement of “all white people raised in America are racist.”  Blanket terms can be scary.  I use this specific phrase because it is accurate.  Every white person is raised this way.  We have varying degrees.  In example, my mother also embraced black TV, movies, literature, and did not shield us from learning our real history of racial terror.  However, I still came out of there saying “I didn’t own slaves!,” as though that exempted me from our racial history.  I still locked car doors when black people walked by, even though my mother had taken me down to Chicora-Cherokee to walk around to learn that black people were not inherently dangerous (likely because she also told me “better safe than sorry”).

I also:

–  Have said “I’m not racist” and even “I’m not racist, BUT”
–  Used to make “house negro” jokes with my family
–  Used to say things like “you’re not -really- black, though!”
–  Have said “My family never owned slaves!” “We were slaves”

I’ve even reached my mayo colored hand out and touched black people’s hair- as recently as last year.

I’ve said, and done some causal racist, uber ignorant, Becky Crow Jr stuff.

I’ve also examined all of that, took the claps to my face, shut up and -listened- to what was actually being said to me.  I dropped my defense and woke up.  All white people raised in America are racist.

Having woken up does not make me better than anyone.  I should’ve been awake to it, but I wasn’t.  It shouldn’t have taken me some 27 years of my life, being told what I’ve been told, seen what I’ve seen, exposed to what I’ve been exposed to, to see the truth of this country, my white history, the racism in even my own words and in-actions, and to see the role I was playing in continuing the problem.  It did, because we’re so ingrained and indoctrinated with it that it takes a lot for us to see it.  All white people raised in America are racist.

Furthermore, because of this heavy indoctrination, it is never going to be over.  We will have to continue to check ourselves everyday, with every word we speak and every thing we expose our children to, to ensure we are not continuing this saga anymore.

I’m not perfect.  I’m still going to swerve and am still capable of displaying the ingrained racism that has been instilled in me my whole life.  This is the key to why I will no longer say “I’m not racist.”  We have to commit ourselves to -listening- when we are called out on our mistakes, and solemnly swear to not let ourselves repeat those same mistakes, because those mistakes can cause lives to be lost through so many different ways.  Those same mistakes can hurt the very people that we claim we care about.  It’s not about doing what might gain you friends, what might get you pats on the back or about being commended.  It’s about stopping all of this now so that children can stop losing their lives and so that children don’t lose their friends to racial disparities and racism.  It’s so that women and men today can make ends meet and take care of themselves and theirs.  It’s so that the people can live in peace and have any shot at prosperity.

THAT is what it is about and in order to do that, we white people need to shut up, look at ourselves with utter honesty and brutal examination so that we can check ourselves, check each other and get to work uplifting our black sisters and brothers on  their journey and fight for liberation, instead of continuing to stand in their way and hold them back.

All white people raised in America are racist

We have two options:

–  Ignore all of it and continue perpetuating the problems
or
–  See it exactly how it is, fight against it and
STAND UP TO IT

Sitting by repeating “I’m not racist” does nothing to change racism, so why are you still sitting?

Articles submitted by freelance writers. If you would like to submit an article to the Onyx Truth, please click on the SUBMISSIONS link at the very top of the site for more info.

143 Comments

1. Procras108r85

October 29, 2016 at 8:06 pm

We ran around calling them “colored”. Yea, so? There’s nothing insulting about the term. Or do you not know what the ‘C’ in NAACP stands for?

White people are considered the “default” in America. *Gasp*!! By God, who would’ve ever thought that the group with the largest population in a country is considered the default?!?! How terrible!! I certainly hope that the Asians in S Korea aren’t considered the default race because they have groups of whites or blacks that also live there, or the Arabs in UAE considered the default there bc they may have other races who live amongst them. This is normal, dumbass!!

This white racism myth is just that…a myth.

2. Maggie Scheck Geene

October 31, 2016 at 10:54 pm

My ancestors (both sides of the family) immigrated from Europe ( France, Germany and Ireland to be precise) just before the turn of the century ( 1889 – 1996).

None of them participated in “Jim Crow” activities, because they were too busy holding down two and three jobs to get ahead in their new homeland. And no KKK either, because they were Catholic, another group hated just as much by the Klan.

How dare you assume that all white people are ancestrally connected to racist activity.

• Shaharyar Rehan

November 5, 2016 at 3:23 am

The same way you subconsciously assume your superiority over other racse through subjugating them and classifying yourselves as the default/norm. And by associating muslims with terrorists, hispanics with rapists/drug dealers, blacks with heat packing thugs, and for allowing a moron as ridiculous as trump to get this far in his candidacy. Peace

3. Tyrone Shoelaces

November 1, 2016 at 1:07 am

Let me see if I get this right. I have to actually tell myself that i am a racist and own my racism, even though I don’t feel that way at all.I am a racist because I recognize your blackness, is that accurate?

OK then, I’ll just treat you like any MF’er in the room. Let’s drop Affirmative action, because recognizing your blackness is perpetuating Racism and I don’t think we should do that. You can work hard like everyone else and get into college based on merit and a test, as opposed to getting the advantage your melanin provides.

Then, let’s get rid of quota’s, both real and perceived, in government jobs and union gigs. You can earn your way onto the payroll with an education, a job history and a good work ethic. then you can get a loan for a house and a car just like I had to…

Finally, lets get rid of Black Studies in college, Black History Month, BET, the NAACP, black Frats, the African American Diaspora museum in DC that just opened – because, you asshat, if i am to be told how to remember my history by you, you should have to listen to me about yours.

Black people have spent so much time working the ‘White Guilt’ angle that if you had to work as hard as whites do, you would freaking fail.

Everyone was doing a pretty good job of getting along before Obama started to really divide us. maybe if you spent a few minutes thinking about how you can reach across this perceived divide as an equal (and yeah dummy, you might have to earn it) – we would all be in a better place.

4. Justin

November 5, 2016 at 1:18 am

Honest you SJWs are so F’n pathetic. I’m not responsible for anything that happened before I was born, my ancestors don’t make me anything. Read some alternative history to the drivel that’s being taught in most Uni’s today. You might find out that you have been tricked. The Oldest Trick in the book, or one of the best, is divide and conquer. The Crap you are spouting is psychological warfare intended to keep blacks and whites from understanding their common enemy which is international bankers and their lackeys, who really run the governments of the world.
    Unpacking your brainwashing is the first step to really being “awake”, as you put it. The Real title of the article should be “everyone in America is brainwashed, it’s just a matter of degrees.

5. Sean

November 13, 2016 at 5:55 am

Wow…it’s hard to believe that this mentality became the standard narrative of the left. It’s hypocritical, a double standard, and frankly…embarrassing. I’m a white guy, and I don’t need to apologize for that. No…I wasn’t raised racist…nor was I raised to ignore color. I was raised to give respect to everyone and treat them fairly regardless of race of culture. This writer wants his audience to believe that whites are some monolithic cultural experience and we all had the same upbringing as him…we didn’t.

There’s lots of bullsquat that’s pervasive in this article…but I’d like to point out one of the dumbest parts of this narrative. It’s the idea that we, as whites, are somehow guilty of the behavior of other whites before this. Please don’t believe this disgustingly racist lie. We believe in innocent until proven guilty…not that someone is guilty “by default” because of their race. If a man (any race) lost a father…and found out after his death that his father was guilty of robbing a bank back when he was twenty…would we hold that man accountable for what his father stole? Of course not…that isn’t justice, it’s petty revenge. So in the same line of logic, I’m not guilty of what some racist white guy did in the past either. This nation has made great strides towards equality…not just in the law but also in the views of the average white person. Whites are overwhelmingly willing to live next to other races, marry other races, work with other races, and even elect other races in every office at every level of government. If we were all white supremacists bent on maintaining our supremacy…that wouldn’t be the case. Whites aren’t all racist…heck, the vast majority of us aren’t racist. To generalize us all…on the basis of nothing but our skin…is racist.

So congratulations to the author for being racist…maybe not the racist he was before, but another equally disgusting kind of racist nonetheless.

6. dante

December 6, 2016 at 6:30 pm

“Communism & Marxism is to racism as cash money is to Capitalism… The ONE cannot exist without the OTHER. The entire system collapses when it is shown to be a mere worldview existing on blind faith only.”

[copyright MMXVI inAbsentia]

7. DannyBoy

December 9, 2016 at 12:16 pm

XD funny stuff

8. Asher

January 8, 2017 at 4:00 pm

So let me get this straight racism, by definition, not the false one, but the one written down in dictionaries, is: rac·ism
    ˈrāˌsizəm/Submit
    noun
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.
    “a program to combat racism”
    synonyms: racial discrimination, racialism, racial prejudice, xenophobia, chauvinism, bigotry, casteism
    “Aborigines are the main victims of racism in Australia”. But, I, just by being white and in America, am racist, even though I don’t believe in superiority of any race against another, nor hate anyone just for being a certain race, or anything else the definition says. Just because I’m white and American I am racist. Well that’s totally not racist.

9. Burnt Meatballs

January 28, 2017 at 4:39 pm

I’m just going to point out I could get past the 2nd paragraph. I totally smelled the bullshit and I had to stop reading a rant by a cry baby.

10. Tehuti Set-Heru

February 12, 2017 at 12:53 pm

There are different types of racism but it all springs from whites because they invented the concept of race so they could put themselves on top and blacks at the bottom. White conservatives and liberals are both racists for different reasons. Conservatives just hate us because they fear being genetically annihilated but they know we are not stupid. Liberal whites think we all need welfare because they think we are inferior and need whites to help them…..as if we sat around thousands of years waiting on them to show up.

11. James

February 16, 2017 at 10:54 am

So much pointless navel gazing.

12. Alexandria M. Legette

March 16, 2017 at 9:56 pm

I’ve stumbled across this article while I was browsing the net. It is so refreshing that there are SOME white people who really get how racism really operates in this nation. It is systematic and is designed to keep people with brown skin (specially those of African decent) at the bottom forever. I’m optimistic regarding this and glad to serve a God who is impartial. Although progress is still a long way in regards to racial harmony, I’m optimistic that blacks and other brown peoples will not forever be at the bottom. No race is better than another. I could go on and on but I just wanted to simply commend you for pointing out true racism and for exposing it’s components that most choose to willfully ignore. God bless you.

13. Luis Jiménez I.

April 28, 2017 at 12:38 pm

I think that every time a united stater goes to the gas station to fill some gas in his car, should feel really ashamed for have killed 1 million irakies, just for their petroleum. Otherwise, they are blind to “otherness”. They are really sombies. This is racism too.

14. Sankari✓Fᵉᵈᵉʳᵃˡ ᶦˢᵗ

May 30, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Screw this article. Why should I listen to a racist?

%d bloggers like this: